You have no items in your shopping cart.
Out of the Box Travel Journal
Created by: Yvonne Busdeker
Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm traveling with my boys to New York for a family wedding. We are going to be gone six days. I'm very big on recording trips, making it fun and making it simple. To create this fun set of books I used everything including the shipping box! I'm a large fan of recycling and reusing what I can. One of the things that I noticed immediately with the shipping boxes from The Paper Mill Store is the great quality. You can read more on the boxes here.
Supplies from The Paper Mill Store .com:
- Crop-A-Dile from We R Memory Keepers
- Number stamps
- Colorbox chestnut roan ink
- Brown pen
- Fiskars scissors
- Carl cutter
- Fiskars 1" circle cutter
- 3 medium size binder rings
You'll notice in this design that I didn't hide the colored packing tape nor the other shipping marks on the box. Instead I used those in the design and worked with them. The books are sturdy and expandable if needed. I added 8 pages for the boys to add their thoughts and mementos onto, as we will be gone for 6 days. Keeping the book short follows their attention span with scrapbooking.
- Cut sections of box for the front and back cover. I cut 6" x 7 1/2" sections from the top flaps so I could pull in the packing tape.
- Design the front and back covers. I did this in Photoshop. Following the theme of our trip, I pulled a direction map from our house in Chicago to New York City from www.mapquest.com. Then, I added my title.
- Print the cover and cut down to size. My front and back printed sections were 5" x 5".
- Mount the 5" x 5" printed sections on to Royal Fiber Kraft cover or Environment Tortilla cover that measure 5 1/2" x 6 1/2".
- Ink the edges of the Royal Fiber Kraft/Environment Tortilla paper sections then hand draw stitching on the printed map and the mat. Adhere the mounted prints onto the front and back cardboard covers.
- The inside pages are created of Environment Tortilla and cut to 5" x 7".
- Stamp numbers 1-6 onto Royal Fiber Kraft paper then punch out with 1" circle cutter. Ink edges of each circle.
- Adhere a page number to each page spread.
- Hand draw border lines around each page.
- Punch holes in both covers and the inside pages (down left hand side). The Crop-A-Dile works great on cardboard and other thick surfaces.
- Secure book together by using 3 medium size binder rings.
- Adhere an envelope to the inside back cover to tuck in mementos.